The court and child custody agreements

Date: Jan 29, 2014

It's never easy going through a divorce or separation - and having to manage child custody arrangements can sometimes be one of the most difficult parts.

While in an ideal world discussing and arranging child custody agreements with your ex-partner would be easy, this isn't usually the case.

If you and your ex-partner have been unable to come up with a formal or informal child custody arrangement, you may have to take the matter to court.

According to the Law Society of New South Wales, one of the most commonly asked questions regarding child custody arrangements is, "What kind of orders can a court make?"

The court is permitted to make a number of so-called "formal parenting orders" that address issues such as:

- Which parent the child should live with
- Which parent should be responsible for certain aspects of the child's life
- How much time the child will spend with each parent
- How parents should communicate with each other about the child.

The court will take what it believes to be the best interests of the child into consideration when issuing formal parenting orders.

If you have any questions about child custody arrangements, get in touch with the family lawyers at Craddock Murray Neumann.