With nine years’ experience as a tax lawyer, Leon Mahtani has been involved in all stages of tax dispute resolution, from risk review, audit, objection through to litigation, and:
- as a former employee of the ATO:
- gained extensive knowledge of the ATO’s administrative procedures and policies
- was a senior auditor in the High Wealth Individuals Taskforce
- was the Manager of the Sydney team responsible for determining taxation objections lodged by High Wealth Individual taxpayers
- gained taxation litigation and dispute resolution experience
- worked in a mid-tier accounting firm acting for taxpayers where he:
- drafted private binding ruling applications and complex amendment requests
- responded to ATO requests for information
- prepared tax advice for large corporates and high wealth individuals on many topics, including:
- tax residency
- capital gains tax
- land tax
- Division 7A
- taxation of trusts
- the debt and equity rules
- acts in debt recovery and insolvency matters in both State and Federal courts.
Leon is friendly, approachable and accomplished. He is:
- Chair of the NSW Law Society’s Taxation Law Committee (Young Lawyers Branch)
- a member of the Law Council of Australia and the Tax Institute
- completing the CTA3 course with the Tax Institute.
- Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws (Honours) – Macquarie University
- Master of Laws in Corporate, Commercial and Taxation Law – University of New South Wales
- Master of Professional Accounting – University of Technology, Sydney.